Book tickets at the best rates!

Cathedral of St. Theresa of Avila
Subotica and surrounding
Architecture,  Temples, Churches
Architecture, 
Temples, Churches

The prosperity of the Serbian city of Subotica at the end of the 18th century led to an increase in the population in general and the Catholics in particular. The city needed more civil buildings and a larger religious monastery. If in 1748 the number of parishioners of the Catholic Church was about 5 thousand people, then by 1791 it increased to 20 thousand. Thus, it was decided to build a new, more spacious church.

The construction of the Cathedral of St. Theresa of Avila (Saint Teresa of Jesus) began in 1773 by the Hungarian architect Franz Kaufmann and lasted about 25 years. The majestic building of the cathedral combines features of Baroque and classicism. Located in the central square in the historic part of the city, it has been the main attraction of the city for more than 200 years. The cathedral is named after Saint Teresa of Jesus, the canonized Spanish writer who is considered the patroness of Subotica.

The single-nave cathedral with two sacristies on the sides is 61 meters long and 26 meters wide. The external appearance of the building with two 64-meter bell towers impresses from the first minutes. Thanks to these towers, the building is visible from almost anywhere in the low-rise city. By the way, it was the tallest building in Subotica before the construction of the City Hall.

The interior of the cathedral is as majestic as its exterior. The main altar was made at the beginning of the 19th century in the city of Pest, present-day Budapest. The wall paintings and colorful frescoes date from the last decade of the 19th century and belong to the famous artists from Innsbruck, Munich, and Zagreb. Therefore, the interior of the cathedral looks more like Western European churches than the Balkan ones. Its hallmark is the organ of 1897 brought from the Hungarian city of Pecs.

Although the cathedral was always in pristine condition, was not looted and destroyed, was not empty, and did not fall into disrepair, it underwent restoration in the 20th century. After that, it reopened its doors to the parishioners.

Address: Trg Žrtava Fašizma

Published by

Praskovia Ko

All content and media files are published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA 4.0)

Rating based on 0 reviews
Favoured:
0
Already
6 images
of the Cathedral of St. Theresa of Avila
on 7toucans
See on the map

Book and buy tickets at the best rates!

Best hotels in Subotica!

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set.To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy including cookie use

 I accept cookies from this site.